My Body, My Choice



    I know that I'm probably going to get a lot of criticism, judgment, and disapproval for writing this. I still think it needs to be said. Anybody who knows me well knows that I'm pro-life. I believe in the dignity of human life from conception until natural death. I believe that all people have the right to live.
    I have noticed a very disturbing trend since COVID-19 became known as a threat to the U.S. People are politically and religiously divided on whether or not this unpredictable virus is dangerous. Someone even told me that "God would take care of us" if we decide to go to a public place with people all around. Certainly God does take care of us. We are also not to put God to the test while being irresponsible. Jesus made this pretty clear when Satan told the Son of God to jump off a cliff. Jesus said that we are not to put the Lord our God to the test.
    A medical professional told me that she would only wear a mask to a public indoor gathering because she wouldn't be allowed to attend otherwise. This individual made the complaint that wearing one was just too uncomfortable. I see people making remarks about the fact that they shouldn't be forced to wear masks because that violates their personal freedom. As I've been reflecting on all these things, a phrase jumped into my mind, and after processing its implications, I felt truly sad.
    A common phrase in the pro-choice movement is "my body, my choice." They are saying that because they are pregnant, they have a right to abort the baby inside of them. That's pretty much what it boils down to. And it doesn't really make logical sense, because the baby should have rights too. Because he or she can't speak for themselves, they often lose their lives. This is why I fight for their rights: because no one can hear them.
    The arguments that people have been using to not take COVID-19 seriously seem to have one thing in common: it is my personal choice to take this virus seriously or not. That sounds awfully familiar to me. My body, my choice. What we all need to remember is that our actions affect everyone. 
    I've been seeing people be so upset because they can't attend church right now. I get it. I have been hearing the argument that because the early Christians risked their lives to attend Mass, we should do the same. Here is where the argument breaks down quite a bit: the early Christians weren't risking other people's lives besides their own in the same way as today when they did this. If someone went to an underground Mass, that put his or her life in danger. When I choose to go to Mass in a highly infected area, I potentially expose everyone there to a potentially life-threatening virus. See the difference?
    I certainly cannot in fairness say all this and not address other concerns. I know that a lot of people (including myself) have been suffering from mental illness during this crisis. I realize that many have been afraid to get medical concerns addressed. I understand that many people have lost their jobs, received pay cuts, or been furloughed. Domestic violence is a higher danger at this time. I am not blind to the difficulties that a lockdown causes. Please just remember that your body affects other bodies. If you are tempted to complain that your rights are being taken away, consider those whose right to life and/or health are taken away because of your selfish actions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What My 30th Year of Life Has Been Like

I Got a Hair Trim

Lyrics Dissection: Scared To Be Lonely by Martin Garrix and Dua Lipa